Saturday, August 1, 2009

Making the Shift from Resistance to Gratitude


I just recently read a post on Jenny Blake's blog (lifeaftercollege.org) about appreciation for the things we have in our lives, good and bad. After reading her post, I was really inspired to make a list of the things that I am grateful for in MY life, so here it goes.

I am thankful for the disagreements that John and I have
because it shows me how well we communicate and how much stronger we are every day.

I am thankful for my son in even his fussiest of moods
because no matter what we know that he is healthy.

I am thankful for John's commute
because that means that he has a job to go to everyday.

I am thankful that our house got broken into
because that means that we have things worth stealing.

I am thankful for our overgrown lawn
because it means that we have been spending more time doing fun stuff than yard work.

I am thankful that I have to be concerned with the price of gas
because that means I have a car to put gas in.

I am thankful for the never ending housework I face
because it means I have a house to clean.

I am thankful for even the lowest moments in my life
because they enable me to be more empathetic to those facing difficult situations in their lives.

Beyond the "bad" stuff I am thankful for so many wonderful things in my life:
My marriage, son, family and friends.
My health and the health of those I love and care about.
Our opportunity to go on so many wonderful trips this summer
My creativity
And the list goes on. . .

Thanks for sharing the awesome post Jenny and for helping inspire me. I hope I can do the same

3 comments:

  1. I really like this, and you are now inspiring me to write one now too ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Amy! I'm so honored to know that I inspired such a wonderful post. It was really inspiring reading yours too. Let's start a movement!

    ReplyDelete